KILIMANJARO

KILIMANJARO
Another trek challenge completed - Reaching
the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro at 19,341 feet above sea level and the highest
free standing mountain in the world is my proudest achievement so far. I didn’t start trekking until I retired and I
have surprised myself (and many others) in what I have accomplished. I have had
the most incredible experiences and met some amazing and inspirational people. Thank you so much for all of your
support on each endeavour and for believing in me. You have helped me to raise £9,500 on this
trek taking the total for all three treks to a fantastic £18,000, with Gift Aid to be added to that total.



Friday 9 July 2010

The Story So Far!

I have recently retired from my family business, handing over to the next generation and will have time on my hands to pursue other interests. My older, wiser brother warned me that it was easy to put things off when you don't have deadlines. Panic set in - for the past 33 years deadlines & projects have been my motivation!

Whilst browsing the Wakefield Hospice Website looking through their fundraising diary for ideas of how I might repay their care and kindness to me and my family 19 years ago I came across 'The Peru Trek Challenge'. It was a 'light bulb' moment! I did some research - ran it past my son & daughter who didn't hesitate to say 'Go for it mum, you can do it', and the panic subsided.... for now!

So here I am on week 8 of my 15 week training schedule! The training programme mainly consists of two walks per week, one short - one long, of increasing duration - building up to 7 hr walks, when I should be ready! At the same time I have an excercise regime to build up my strength and stamina!
September 23rd is the date I set off on my 'big adventure' - so I think I can safely say that I have a project and a deadline to take me through the first 5 months of my retirement!

No comments:

Post a Comment