KILIMANJARO

KILIMANJARO
Another trek challenge completed - Reaching
the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro at 19,341 feet above sea level and the highest
free standing mountain in the world is my proudest achievement so far. I didn’t start trekking until I retired and I
have surprised myself (and many others) in what I have accomplished. I have had
the most incredible experiences and met some amazing and inspirational people. Thank you so much for all of your
support on each endeavour and for believing in me. You have helped me to raise £9,500 on this
trek taking the total for all three treks to a fantastic £18,000, with Gift Aid to be added to that total.



Friday 8 October 2010

Tuesday 28th September - Day 2 cont'd Lares Trail & an encounter with celebs!







Finally we begin our Trek proper and everyone is raring to go, when we encounter party of celebs trekking same route as us today. Another scorching hot morning climbing to 4,200 meters (13,860 ft) and after only 15 minutes I started to struggle. It was so hard to breath with all the exertion, but I wasn't the only one and everyone was encouraging and supporting each other as we slogged on stopping regularly to catch our breath and muster the energy to move forward. This was so much harder than I could possibly have imagined! The descent after lunch was easier on the breathing front but quite challenging underfoot. Arrived at camp at 3,900 meters (12,870 ft) after trekking for 6.5 hrs (excluding lunch & breaks).

No comments:

Post a Comment