KILIMANJARO

KILIMANJARO
Another trek challenge completed - Reaching
the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro at 19,341 feet above sea level and the highest
free standing mountain in the world is my proudest achievement so far. I didn’t start trekking until I retired and I
have surprised myself (and many others) in what I have accomplished. I have had
the most incredible experiences and met some amazing and inspirational people. Thank you so much for all of your
support on each endeavour and for believing in me. You have helped me to raise £9,500 on this
trek taking the total for all three treks to a fantastic £18,000, with Gift Aid to be added to that total.



Friday 8 October 2010

Thursday 30thSeptember - Machu Picchu - At last!









Up at 4am. Very little sleep because it was freezing. Woke up to a covering of frost everywhere including tent. Said goodbye to our porters, cooks and horsemen and set off for what seemed like a leasurely 3.5 hr trek (after the last two days) down to Yanahuara where we were re-united with Charlotte who had fully recovered and made our way to Ollantayambo train station and a luxury train ride to Aguas Calientes and the last leg to Machu Picchu - Yet another boiling hot morning!

Machu Picchu - at last - what an amazing sight and what an incredable journey.
I can honestly say that this has been the most gruelling and amazing experience imaginable and following the dramas of past few days we had to leave the Machu Picchu site quicker and earlier than planned as a thunder storm broke overhead!

Would I do it again? - No!! (Well possibly - if I was 30 years younger)

Am I glad that I did it? Yes - I wouldn't have missed it for the world !!!

The whole journey from the day I made the decision to take up the challenge until the Trek itself has been amazing with the support, sponsorship and good wishes I have received from everyone and meeting my inspiring fellow trekkers. I have raised with your generosity £4,025 and collectively our party had raised a total of £186,000 for our various charities as of last week.
And Machu Picchu? - All I can say is Wow!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment