KILIMANJARO

KILIMANJARO
Another trek challenge completed - Reaching
the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro at 19,341 feet above sea level and the highest
free standing mountain in the world is my proudest achievement so far. I didn’t start trekking until I retired and I
have surprised myself (and many others) in what I have accomplished. I have had
the most incredible experiences and met some amazing and inspirational people. Thank you so much for all of your
support on each endeavour and for believing in me. You have helped me to raise £9,500 on this
trek taking the total for all three treks to a fantastic £18,000, with Gift Aid to be added to that total.



Friday 8 October 2010

Wednesday 29th September - Hiking up Hatun Paso Mountain







Up at 4.30am for a 7 am start to learn that Charlotte one of our leaders was suffering quite severely from altitude sickness and was to be taken back down to a lower altitude to recover. It was to be a long day as we still had 2 hrs to make up from previous day's events plus today's Trek. Another very tough trek and soon found myself struggling as before. Concern soon arose because of storm clouds gathering at the pass and a few of us agreed to ride horses to speed up progress. It seemed like a good idea but was very scary and my mule had a mind of his own and I got separated from other riders when we stopped to put on warmer clothes to deal with dropping temperature, so I rejoined walkers. Two of our party then collapsed within 10 minutes of each other from exhaustion, and whilst doctors were tending to them it started to hail and get very cold. Because of casualties the group was split into two with faster walkers going on ahead and slower walkers (which incuded me) remaining to follow on with casualties who now needed the horses as heavy cloud descended over us creating a very serious situation. We made our way forward slowly and eventually made it through the pass at 4,600 meters (15,180 ft) where the porters were waiting with hot coca tea which they had made at base camp and run up the mountain with - unbelievable !! We could hardly see each other for a while and then the mist magically cleared revealing a beautiful lake in the valley below. By the time we reached camp we had been trekking for 9.5 hrs (excluding lunch and other stops) we were exhausted and frozen as we went to bed on the coldest night yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment