KILIMANJARO

KILIMANJARO
Another trek challenge completed - Reaching
the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro at 19,341 feet above sea level and the highest
free standing mountain in the world is my proudest achievement so far. I didn’t start trekking until I retired and I
have surprised myself (and many others) in what I have accomplished. I have had
the most incredible experiences and met some amazing and inspirational people. Thank you so much for all of your
support on each endeavour and for believing in me. You have helped me to raise £9,500 on this
trek taking the total for all three treks to a fantastic £18,000, with Gift Aid to be added to that total.



Tuesday 25 September 2012

Sunday 16th Sept -Huangyaguan - Mountain Village 7 hrs



Up at 6.15 - breakfast and on the wall for 8.30. We headed up on a restored section of the wall. A tough section but we were rewarded with stunning views over the Yanshan Mountains and the region below. By mid morning we reached Heavens Ladder a very narrow steep climb of over 300 steps. There was a handrail but behind the handrail there was barbed wire which would stop a fall but not very pleasantly! The next bit was more varied with mud slopes and stone boulders and one particular spot three of the boys had to position themselves to help us up because the step was waist high. Very hot 30 degrees. After lunch we walked on up,up,up through shrubs and bracken, for miles. With very steep drops on both sides. Incredibly difficult terrain with boulders and scree along the barely visible path, and undergrowth scratching any bare piece of skin. At some point I appear to have been bitten or stung as I have quite a large lump on my arm. What a walk winding around sections of the old wall then a very steep hazardous descent into the valley and the mountain village where we were spending the night in a hostel which had recently been re-furnished so was very clean although very basic. Some shared dormitory type rooms with one large bed for six people!! Time for a shower and change of clothes and down for dinner, followed by a happy gathering round a bonfire. Very cold at night. Some locals were singing karaoke in one of the hostel rooms so everyone went to join in, which was fun.Very cold so we retired to bed at about 9.30. An incredible walk with so many different types of terrain, using every muscle in the legs. Not sure how I am going to feel in the morning but considering the difficulty of the walk I don't feel too bad at the moment!!!Beds hard, no mattress (just a table) .




No comments:

Post a Comment