KILIMANJARO

KILIMANJARO
Another trek challenge completed - Reaching
the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro at 19,341 feet above sea level and the highest
free standing mountain in the world is my proudest achievement so far. I didn’t start trekking until I retired and I
have surprised myself (and many others) in what I have accomplished. I have had
the most incredible experiences and met some amazing and inspirational people. Thank you so much for all of your
support on each endeavour and for believing in me. You have helped me to raise £9,500 on this
trek taking the total for all three treks to a fantastic £18,000, with Gift Aid to be added to that total.



Sunday 9 September 2012

Sunday 2nd Sept = Knaresborough Round – 21 miles (8 Hrs)


With James, Hannah and Bear. It was a beautiful sunny day and we set off with a spring in our steps as this was the penultimate walk in my training programme and the last really long one. It wasn’t difficult terrain but as a lot of it was on roads and farm tracks it was hard on the feet and I had to relinquish my back pack to James just after half way because I was feeling some discomfort from my fall last week. The very worst part of the walk was through a very large wood (for about 1.5 miles). It was so muddy it was hard to stay on your feet and it was especially difficult because of the brambles intertwined across the path trying to trip us from every angle and the very tall spiteful nettles waiting to sting us as we survived the mud and the brambles!! Hannah came off worst as she was wearing shorts - ouch! We eventually arrived in the pretty village of Goldsborough where we found the Bay Horse pub open and treat ourselves to a very enjoyable cold drink.The final part of the walk along the river on the way back into Knaresborough town was particularly pretty but we were three very weary trekkers when we finished our day with a chinese meal in Knaresborough itself before driving home.

No comments:

Post a Comment