KILIMANJARO

KILIMANJARO
Another trek challenge completed - Reaching
the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro at 19,341 feet above sea level and the highest
free standing mountain in the world is my proudest achievement so far. I didn’t start trekking until I retired and I
have surprised myself (and many others) in what I have accomplished. I have had
the most incredible experiences and met some amazing and inspirational people. Thank you so much for all of your
support on each endeavour and for believing in me. You have helped me to raise £9,500 on this
trek taking the total for all three treks to a fantastic £18,000, with Gift Aid to be added to that total.



Thursday 20 November 2014

Monday September 29th - Day 6 Baranco Camp to Karanga Camp 4,100m

It is freezing and damp and my back is aching from all the stooping in the tent. I keep having to lie flat on my back for a few minutes for relief.  Today's walking was for a shorter time compared to the past few days but very, very hard again. Each day's difficulties are different. Today we climbed the Baranco Wall. It was really steep and a scramble all the way. I cannot believe that I actually did it. Today's highlight was chips for lunch!! We had rain this afternoon for the first time and those of us that were slowest got caught in it and arrived wet through with no means to dry our things out. Most of my gear was waterproof but my rucksack and gloves were soaked.  Fortunately Adam had a spare pair of gloves and even though they are massive on me they are dry. Climbing Kilimanjaro is one challenge but the freezing cramped conditions and basic facilities are an additional challenge all on their own - and I have a tent to myself!!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment