KILIMANJARO

KILIMANJARO
Another trek challenge completed - Reaching
the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro at 19,341 feet above sea level and the highest
free standing mountain in the world is my proudest achievement so far. I didn’t start trekking until I retired and I
have surprised myself (and many others) in what I have accomplished. I have had
the most incredible experiences and met some amazing and inspirational people. Thank you so much for all of your
support on each endeavour and for believing in me. You have helped me to raise £9,500 on this
trek taking the total for all three treks to a fantastic £18,000, with Gift Aid to be added to that total.



Thursday 20 November 2014

Saturday September 27th - Day 4 Machame Camp to Shira Camp 3840m

Up at 6am this morning, breakfast at 7. There was carnage in my tent sorting my bags!! A beautiful sunny morning with our first sight of Mount Kilimanjaro. Straight up and out of the rain forest - what a killer of a day! really difficult, climbing up rocks and boulders all the way. It was a scramble on all fours in many parts. I was soon lagging at the back with three others. The guides were fantastic pacing us and re-affirming  'poley-poley' and 'sippy-sippy to keep up our fluid intake. We climbed for 8 hours to 13,500 ft. I have never done anything as difficult in all of my life. Although I really struggled fortunately my headache and nausea didn't re-appear today and I did manage to eat a hearty meal on reaching camp. It has been beautiful and sunny and very hot today, with ever more spectacular views of Kilimanjaro. Tonight we were treated to songs and dancing by our crew and invited to join in - wonderful.
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment