KILIMANJARO

KILIMANJARO
Another trek challenge completed - Reaching
the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro at 19,341 feet above sea level and the highest
free standing mountain in the world is my proudest achievement so far. I didn’t start trekking until I retired and I
have surprised myself (and many others) in what I have accomplished. I have had
the most incredible experiences and met some amazing and inspirational people. Thank you so much for all of your
support on each endeavour and for believing in me. You have helped me to raise £9,500 on this
trek taking the total for all three treks to a fantastic £18,000, with Gift Aid to be added to that total.



Thursday 20 November 2014

Thursday - September 25th - Day 2

Arrived Weru Weru Lodge just outside Moshi where we were greeted with a refreshing drink of Hibiscus juice just in time for lunch, followed by a briefing. There are 20 of us now in our group plus Jess our leader from the UK. It is a friendly group aged between late 20's to early 70's. Fred is the oldest and I think myself, Juliet and Jean are the next oldest! They all seem super fit! I'm a bit nervous about my fitness level, although I couldn't have done more preparation. I'm somewhat encouraged by the fact that our guide has emphasised that the way to conquer the mountain is to go 'poley-poley' (slowly slowly). They say they have a 98% success rate on their treks on this route. Everyone has been paired off but as there is an odd number and I am in a room of my own and will have a tent of my own. I'm a bit unsure about this I will miss the close camaraderie and bonding that developed between my and my previous trekking buddies Doris and Sandie!! Check out the photo of the door to my room below - I think there must be some very hungry termites around here !!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment